The Kansas Heritage Group history archives are devoted to digitally preserving Kansas' past, giving future generations the opportunity to learn from family and local Kansas history online. Browse through Kansas history sites and also receive information on how to contribute. The Kansas History Gateway, established by Lynn H. Nelson as HNSource on March 6, 1993, was the second WWW public web site; the first Kansas history online. Kansas history and art museums, libraries, genealogy and events are included. The KS Heritage Group is an unfunded group of volunteer maintainers.
"I would like to thank, on behalf of all the people who have benefited from it, Lynn Nelson for his great effort to build and maintain the WWW Virtual Library for History." Tim Berners-Lee, WWW Inventor, www.w3.org, November 2004.
Dust Bowl History Black Sunday, April 14, 1935: 75th Anniversary
Langston Hughes African-American Writer, Poet, Kansan
Kansas Heritage Index
- The Kansas Heritage Group Complete Sites Index
- Kansas Community Networks Kansas Cities, Towns and Counties
- Kansas History Resources Kansas Museums, KS Genealogy, Libraries
- Kansas History Web Sites Kansas native tribes to 20th Century KS history
- Carrie: A Virtual Electronic Text Library; Lynn H. Nelson; Maintainer, Serge Noiret, IUE
Launched 6 May 1993, the first World-Wide Web full-text online library.
- Documents for the Study of American History AmDocs, from 1400s to 2000s;
Lynn H. Nelson, Maintainer, George Laughead
- Kansas Collection Books, Graphics, Photographs Online; Lynn H. Nelson, KanColl original creator
- Old Kansas Area Maps Includes 105 Kansas counties
- Kansas Family History Contribute to Kansas Heritage history by sending your family history
- Kansas Heritage Interactive Genealogy
- Source List for Genealogy Research Over 1,000 genealogy links
- American West WWW-VL: History: US: The expansion of America's West frontier
- Old West Kansas KS Cowboys, Cowtowns, Cattle Towns, Forts, Trails, Tribes
- Old West Kansas Cowtowns KS cattle trails and cattletowns
- Old West Ranching in the Early Days, by Robert M. Wright
- Mueller-Schmidt House Museum, 1881 cattleman's mansion QT Virtual Tour
- Dodge City History the Cowboy Capital, Queen of the Cowtowns
- Territorial Kansas History Links: Cutler's Territorial Kansas, History of Kansas, Northeast Kansas Trails, The Mormon Road (Mormon Trail), Santa Fe Trail, Kansas-Nebraska Act, Potatawatomie Massacre
- Old West Kansas Forts Ft. Leavenworth to Ft. Dodge, KS
- Old West Kansas Gunfighters KS Lawmen and outlaws
- Old West Kansas Plains and Emigrant Tribes KS Native Americans (Indians)
- Old West Kansas Peoples Immigration to KS Old West KS
- Old West Kansas Railroads Old West KS
- Old West Kansas Trails Old West KS
- Old West Kansas Timeline Old West KS
- Old West Photograph Gallery, Dodge City, KS
Lynn H. Nelson, original author; launched 21 September 1993,
- Artists In Kansas Kansas Art Centers, Kansas Art Galleries,
Kansas Art Museums, KS Art Events and Artists
- Basketball History, Dr. James Naismith, b-ball inventor; KU basketball program founder
- Beats In Kansas: The Beat Generation in the Heartland; William Burroughs, Wichita Vortex, James Mechem, Jim McCrary, Charles Plymell, Moody Connell, Beatniks, photographs
- A Blackout Tavern — Study in 1960s Folklore, by Pat O'Connor, Wichita; Beats In Kansas
- James Mechem, Writer, Publisher, Native Kansan; Interview by Denise Low, 2003
- Malcolm McNeill Interview on William Burroughs, Ah Puch Is Here, Emmy award winning artist McNeill worked with Burroughs in London during early 1970s, on comic series, The Unspeakable Mr. Hart, and graphic novel, Ah Puch Is Here
- Remembering William Burroughs and Allen Ginsberg, by Jim McCrary
- "Shooting Joan Burroughs" Beat writer William Burroughs at home in Lawrence, death of Joan Vollmer Burroughs, photographs of Burroughs and Allen Ginsberg.
- Joan Vollmer Burroughs Links; includes "Death of Joan Vollmer Burroughs", by James Grauerholz
- Charles Plymell, from Kansa, Land Of The Wind People
- Lee Streiff, July 14, 1932 - August 1, 2004, Wichita
- Beat Literature Open Directory Project
- Beats Photograph Gallery
- Cooking In Kansas KS Recipes, Cookbooks, Pioneer, Cowboy Cooking, Hamburgers
- Crossing Boundaries: African-American and American Culture, Kansas Humanities Council
- D-Day, 6 June 1944, Normandy, France Dwight D. Eisenhower Library [Operation Overlord]
- Evolution In Kansas Intelligent Design, Creationism, Evolution Theory
- Ford County Historical Society, Dodge City History, Old West Pioneers, Frontier Kansas (KS)
- In Memory of Kansas: Kansas Heritage Photographs
- Kansas Methodism History
- Native Kansas Prairie Wildflowers and Tallgrass Kansas Heritage
- One Room School House Photographs Over 100 images of Kansas one room schools, students, teachers
- Racing In Kansas Kansas Racers, Kansas Race Clubs and KS Race Track: Car and Motorcycle
- William Stafford's Kansas
- WWW-VL: Wind Power In Kansas
- Winter Wheat in the Golden Belt of Kansas James C. Malin
the first index of content on the World Wide Web-Virtual Library.
View of Tim Berners-Lee's computer screen, 1993, oldest screen view of the WWW-Virtual Library.
Lynn H. Nelson, original author; George Laughead, manager.
Software Douglas L. Miller
America West expansion; Nancy Sween, maintainer.
Lynn H. Nelson; established as HNSource 6 March 1993.
Launched 20 March 1993, London University
to the Kansas Heritage Group, 1996 [Lynn H. Nelson was original author of the first KSHS history online.]
Spain history directory, maintained at the European University Institute, Florence, Italy.
Lynn H. Nelson, original author; George Laughead, maintainer. Links for the history of the internet and the world-wide web.
Lynn H. Nelson, original author; George Laughead, maintainer. Leading search engines world-wide, website tools, search engine optimization SEO tips, virus and spyware protection.
Dr. Geoffrey Miller, author [massive site on all medical aspects, military and civilian, of World War One, the Great War, including the flu pandemic.]
- 10-state museum association technology information
Also see WWW-VL: Military: WWI History & WWW-VL: Military: WWII History
[For the many new Kansas friends from the Balkans.]